Christmas is a season of celebration, giving to your community, and of course, gifts. It can also be a season filled with family perils, and perils for your family. Because of these perils, and to minimize your risk of falling victim to any number of them there’s Thomson Schindle Green (TSG) Insurance Company.
TSG Insurance is a full-service, independently-operated insurance brokerage company that provides insurance policies from maximum to minimum coverage to meet your individual or business needs.
Statistics from The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) prove Christmas is one of the most dangerous times of the year, emphasized by 1,000 people each year suffering Christmas tree related injuries and 350 being injured by twinkling lights.
Other risks include fire from those lights and festive decorations, candles including menorahs, and chimney fires so have your chimney inspected by a professional and cleaned if necessary – and be careful. Ice and snow can weaken trees and damage roofs, so be aware and take steps to mitigate the risk.
Installing outdoor security lights can make it’s safer for guest and deter thieves from either breaking in or stealing the holiday decorations from your front yard. Keep your keys out of sight, and avoid leaving spare keys outside in common places like under a doormat or in a flowerpot. Credit card fraud is frequent this time of year so promptly notified the credit card company as per the cardholder agreement.
Then there are the unexpected items. In the event of a water leak, make sure you know where the shut off your water supply is beforehand to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Keeping your central heating on overnight at around 15°C can help to reduce the risk of your pipes freezing.
Here are some simple steps to help with your peace of mind over the holiday period:
- Ensure your home and contents policy is up to date and that you are adequately insured.
- Always lock their vehicle and ensure personal belongings are not exposed.
- Make a detailed list of your possessions, including serial numbers and model numbers. Mark all ‘big ticket’ items with a code or name to prove your ownership.
- Take photos of special items and jewelry and keep them with a copy of your insurance policy. Review your cover after Christmas to include any valuable items you may receive.
- If travelling, take out travel insurance.
Insurance Coverage in Alberta
Thomson Schindle Green Insurance Company wishes you and yours all the best in Bassano, Brooks, Calgary, Edmonton, and Medicine Hat this Festive Season. For any insurance inquiries, visit one of our Alberta locations or call us at 1-800-830-9423.