No one wants to be involved in a car accident. Unfortunately, the chances are pretty high that sometime in your life, you may be involved in one, whether as a driver or a passenger. Accidents are stressful situations. One moment you may be enjoying a few tunes and a sunny day, the next you are spinning out of control and landing in a field or pushed into an intersection. Do you know the best practices to take and questions to ask when you find yourself in a fender bender, or worse? Is it a good idea to move your car? When should you talk to your insurance agent? Discuss the best course of action and make sure you are fully covered by speaking to a TSG Insurance agent in Calgary, Medicine Hat, or Brooks.
Steps to Take After You Are in a Vehicle Accident
If you find yourself in the middle of an accident, no matter how slight, consider taking these actions steps:
- Look for possible injuries. If you discover any damages, either call emergency services or ask someone else to do it. In the event you are seriously injured, refrain from moving and wait for help to arrive.
- Make sure your passengers are okay. If you are not too hurt, ask any passengers how they are doing. Again, if they are gravely hurt, call the emergency services as quickly as possible.
- Get out of harm’s way. As long as you are able, move off the road. If your car is causing a traffic hazard, and it is still driveable, get it to the side of the road. The most important thing is to get yourself to safety.
- Call the police. No matter how severe the accident, call the police for assistance. These officers will fill out the appropriate reports you will need for your insurance company. They can document the scene as well.
- Wait for assistance. Turn off your vehicle’s engine. Put your hazard lights on, and if you have any road flares or reflectors, utilize them to warn other drivers.
- Get the other party’s information. Once it has been determined you and others are not injured, obtain the contact and insurance information of the other driver. Avoid discussing who may be at fault while you get:
- Full name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Type, color, and model of vehicle
- Location of accident
- Make your own documentation of the crash. A lot is going on during the aftermath of a collision, but it is essential to get as much information as possible. Here are steps you can use:
- Get the name and badge of the attending officer.
- Ask for a copy of the officer’s police report.
- Use your phone to take pictures of all cars involved and from a variety of angles.
- Get the names and addresses of everyone involved, including passengers of both automobiles.
- Ask any witnesses for their names and contact information.
- Alert your insurance company and get a claim in process. Contact your insurer while you are at the scene for more information. They can tell you exactly what they will require for your claim processing.
Buy the Right Coverage – Consult a TSG Insurance Agent
Get your car fixed and back on the road quickly when you follow the necessary steps after an accident. Speak with an experienced broker at TSG Insurance. We are happy to discuss the best coverage and policies for your situation. For over 30 years, TSG has been working with a variety of established insurance companies to find you the right coverage you need to fit your budget.
Feel free to call us toll-free at 800-830-9423 to book an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Calgary, Brooks, Medicine Hat, Edmonton, or Bassano. You can also reach out to us online, and we will respond as quickly as possible.