Severe weather can strike at any time while you are in your home, out in the fields, or traveling back and forth to town. During the transition between seasons, it is essential to keep your eye on the sky, and pay attention to what is happening up in the big blue beyond. While it might be easy to think that the swirling clouds above you are bringing a tornado, lightning can just as easily be the result of the dark skies. It is critical that you keep safe at home and in the field. Before bad weather strikes and causes damage, a TSG Insurance agent in Calgary, Medicine Hat, or Brooks, can help you get the insurance protection you need.
Tips to Stay Safe During Severe Weather
Staying safe in the event of severe weather, especially lightning, is possible when you consider these tips:
• It is possible to receive lightning damage from distances of 10 to 15 kilometers away.
• When you hear thunder, head indoors. Thunder is caused by lightning.
• Pay attention to the weather conditions daily. If a thunderstorm is in the forecast, take necessary precautions.
• Keep an eye on the clouds. Darkening clouds can indicate a storm is heading your way.
• The moment you hear thunder or see lightning, head inside. The safest place to be is in a building. The second safest place is in a vehicle.
• If you are outside with no building or vehicle nearby, stay away from tall objects such as trees, utility poles, or large equipment. If you are in an open field, you may be the tallest object around. Head for a dense clump of shorter trees. Avoid jumping into a ditch if it is filled with water. Water conducts electricity.
Consult a TSG Insurance Agent About Your Insurance Needs
Farming takes concentration, making it easy to lose track and get caught in some nasty weather. Keep you and your family safe during severe weather by paying attention to what is happening in the sky. Protect your home and farm by talking to a TSG Insurance professional. Our experienced brokers are glad to discuss the best coverage and policies for you and your agricultural estate. For over 30 years, TSG has served the Alberta area to protect families and their farms. We work with a variety of established insurance companies to ensure you get the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
Reach out to us online, and we will respond as quickly as possible. Also, please feel free to call us toll-free at 800-830-9423 to book an appointment at one of our convenient locations in Calgary, Brooks, Medicine Hat, Edmonton, or Bassano.