Being involved in a car accident, even a minor one, can be stressful. You may feel disoriented, shocked or even emotionally distraught. Despite how you are feeling, it is important that you take the proper steps immediately after the accident to keep everyone safe and avoid any issues with insurance coverage later on.
Key Steps to Take After an Auto Accident
Immediately after the accident, you must make every attempt to bring your vehicle to a complete stop. Failure to stop your vehicle could result in criminal prosecution as well as demerit points on your license. After you have stopped, follow these key steps:
- Call for Help – If you or anyone involved in the accident is seriously injured (including those in the other vehicle), call 911 to arrange for an ambulance and emergency services immediately.
- Make Sure Everyone is Safe – Never stand in between the two vehicles on the side of the road or in front of a vehicle. If another car accidentally strikes those parked vehicles, the cars can hit you. Move your vehicles as far out of traffic as you can and then turn on hazard lights or use warning triangles to alert other drivers that your vehicle is stopped. If you can, stand off to the side of the road and wait for help to arrive.
- Gather Information – Take photographs of your vehicle, the other vehicle(s) that are involved, the collision scene and other evidence present. If there are witnesses, try to get their names and contact information and then exchange information with the other driver.
- Report the Incident to the Police – No matter what, you need to report the accident to the police. If the damage is minor, the police may have you exchange information, but in most cases, they will take an accident report. If the damage appears to be more than $2,000 total (including all vehicles and property), the police must file a Collision Report Form. Failure to contact the police and have this form filed could result in demerit points or a serious fine.
- Contact Your Car Insurance in Calgary – Do not wait to report the collision to your auto insurance provider. You will need to inquire about any forms that must be completed, your level of coverage, etc. A copy of the Collision Report may be required. Your insurance will then determine liability.
Having the Right Car Insurance Coverage Makes a Difference
Filing an accident claim should be something you can do with confidence and without additional anxiety and stress in a situation that is already challenging. TSG Insurance makes obtaining adequate coverage and filing your claim easier. Whether you need car insurance in Medicine Hat, Brooks or Calgary, we can help.
Contact us online or call us toll-free at 800-830-9423 to learn more about our auto insurance policy options. Rest assured that if you are in a vehicle collision, your safety and peace of mind are our top priority.