– Tips from Alberta’s Experienced Brokers at TSG Insurance
With all the joys of homeownership, come just as many responsibilities. Between the mortgage payment, taxes, upkeep, and maintenance, it is easy to let some items coast, like your home insurance. This type of coverage may not be mandated by law; it pays to have a policy in place for life’s misadventures. Remember that an insurance policy is not a buy-it-and-forget-it event. On the contrary, as your life evolves, so do your needs.
Annually reviewing your home insurance policy is the right step in keeping your family and your home protected. The experienced professionals at Thomson Schindle Green (TSG) can sit with you and review your coverage. We will look for gaps in protection and provide options to mitigate loss. We have five locations in Alberta to serve you.
Review Your Alberta Home Insurance
If your home was destroyed in a severe weather event, would your existing policy rebuild and replace your house? Not all coverage is alike. It pays to consistently review your home insurance. Here are some areas to look at:
- Areas of Coverage: What does your existing policy cover? Many are different and are based on what they may cover, for example:
- Damage or loss to your home
- Destruction, loss, or theft of personal property from your car or home
- Damage or injury to others who visit your property or home
- Accidental damage that you may cause to someone else’s property
- Consider the Factors Affecting the Cost of Home Insurance: Many factors affect how much you will pay for coverage; for example, the size and quality of construction of your house. Other factors to pay attention to:
- Contents within: These can include types of appliances, jewellery, and the cars in your garage.
- Type of Pipes and Electrical Wiring: Older pipes may mean a leak is quickly on the horizon. Older homes may have antiquated wiring that poses a fire risk.
- Recent Upgrade or Renovations: Adding on a room or updating your kitchen can mean a change in your home’s value and the policy coverage you need.
- Is Your Home Inventory Included? Taking a detailed account of your belongings does two things. It gives you a record of what you own, and it helps you figure out how much protection you need.
- Types of Policy Coverage: With all the different types of coverages, it is hard to determine what they all mean and how it applies to your circumstances. A TSG broker can explain what you currently have and what you may want to consider adding. Here is a short list of policy types:
- Comprehensive: Helps cover risks to your home and its contents. Exclusions apply.
- Standard: Sometimes called “basic,” this policy can help with named items.
- Broad: This is considered a mix between comprehensive and standard.
Dependable Insurance Services to Cover Your Home
Protecting your investment begins with regular home insurance reviews. For over 30 years, the professionals at TSG have served the residents of Calgary, Brooks, and Medicine Hat with a variety of insurance plans. Our licensed brokers are happy to sit down with you, assess your needs, and tailor a program to safeguard you, your family, and your belongings.